Friday, May 27, 2011

On high alert...

As I woke yesterday it started as any other day. Relax before work, make and have lunch, then get ready and head to work. Since we haven't had cable for two weeks now, we decided to cancel knowing it really is a luxury and not something we need, Kevin and I had not watched any shows that would have led us to know that a tornado warning was in effect for the day.

With a quick good bye to Kevin I headed into work. Once inside I was then informed that a tornado warning was in effect for Chambersburg and the surrounding areas. I quickly sent a text to Kevin as tornadoes are his biggest fear,(for good reason), making sure he was aware of the possible storm. Without the feeling of uneasiness hindering my emotions I began work. As my friend and I worked we casually mentioned the tornado warning but continued to work again feeling the threat to not be too serious, I mean come on this is Chambersburg we shouldn't get one, not today... (Right?).

Without any warning the rain pounded the roof of the warehouse, in turn causing the impending doom to set in. I am not sure time frames in which things started happening, it all went by so quickly. All I can remember is hearing the chilling sound of a down pour of what we then realized was now hail hit the ceiling. As we continued to work the fear and threat of the storm pierced the air. My friend and I were no longer wondering what was going to happen, we were waiting, waiting for our severe weather alert siren to go off. Even when you have told yourself to be prepared to hear that siren (and know it's NOT a drill) the wave of fear that comes over you once hearing that sound and the announcement "Head to your nearest bunker" is instantaneously a heartbeat skipping reality check. Quickly leaving our work behind, we grabbed our things, and headed to our designated areas. Already phone in hand, I was sending out text message after text message making sure my family and friends were OK. With my heartbeat rising with every step towards shelter my stomach fluttered and my motherly instincts kicked in, resting my hand on my bump I prayed and told Rylan it would be ok.

As I sat and waited for all my family and friends to text back, I gripped my phone and bit my tongue pushing down all my emotions as I would send and receive messages one after the other:  "I'm safe" "I'm in our basement" "Be safe" and the hardest to receive and send "I love you".  The personalities of my co-workers were so evident in those moments as people struggled to get cell phone signals and internet weather reports. We had some giving us a play by play of time lines and when it was to hit our area and others receiving text messages and phone calls from loved ones saying 911 had called them leaving a warning message on their answering machines to get to shelter. As my co-workers reported loved ones, who live in Chambersburg, telling them that their roof had been blown off and others house windows had been blown out, trees were uprooted, and power lines down; we waited  for what we knew could come. My body was tense and my emotions on the verge of spilling over, it literally took all the strength I had to not break down in the midst of others laughing like nothing was happening, while others, such as myself, clutched there only lifelines and tried their hardest to reach the people they love in efforts to say I love you and make sure those they knew were safe. Finally the moment we had been waiting for arrived, even with all the talking around me the silence was eerie as even the air inside the building seemed to change. My heartbeat increased as I suddenly heard the ominous noise of what sounded to be a freight train overhead. When my friend who's light banter and smile tried to lighten the mood in that frightening hour of waiting, for the first time, gave way to her true emotions she breathed, "It's here."  In that moment I held my breath with my hands resting on the table cell phone still in hand, as what was outside came to life and I felt  the table vibrate. It all happened quickly and subsided quickly; however my fear of the day, even hours after we were back to work, lasted until my head hit the pillow last night and my eyes closed in exhaustion of the days outcome.

I am overwhelming blessed to know that my family and friends were all safe and no one was hurt. I thank God for keeping us all protected and pray that those families that were hit the hardest in our area will be ok and only possessions were what was lost... Continued prayers go out to everyone who has and will be confronted with natures wrath and devastation, as we move forward barely noticing much aftermath and we allow our emotions to give way towards heading back into our daily routine I pray we (I) never forget the overwhelming protection God has brought us, and the increasing security of knowing if it is our time to leave this earth, our heavenly father is waiting for us with open arms....the Ultimate Shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment